Sunflour 1:1 bread

My recent bread-making has been plagued by a series of disasters, punctuated by not-quite-disasters, but hardly ever anything great like my original 1:1 bread. I read up on various aspects of baking, tried adding less liquid, using warmer water, adding more flour, and various other tweaks, all to no avail. The pattern was that the first rise would be fine, the second rise so-so, but then instead of a great oven spring, the bread would actually deflate in the oven. A very sad experience.

Today I looked back at the old recipe, and noticed that it had used flax-seed flour instead of sunflower seed flour ("sunflour"). I changed to the latter because I found the taste of the flax seed flour to be a bit more savory than what I was shooting for. However, looking at my flour tests, I realized the sunflour seed hadn't risen nearly as well as the flax-seed flour. So that could well be my problem! Before going back to the flax-seed flour, I tried one last trick that I had seen in some other recipes: Adding a small amount of psyllium husk flour ("Flohsamenschalen" in German) - and that worked! Here's the bread after the second rise:

Nice poof there. Our new mini-oven has the best setting for letting bread rise.
And this is the final result:

Gorge-ous!
I'm so happy that it worked! I haven't had this good a bread for months!

Here's the recipe:

250 g wheat flour (type 405)
125 g gluten (Weizenkleber)
150 g sunflower seed flour
25 g psyllium husk (Flohsamenschalen)
20 g salt (slightly less than a tablespoon)
50 g seed mix (sunflower seed, pumpkin seed, flax seed, and sesame seed)
300 ml warm water
2 eggs (cold from the fridge)
20 ml oil
20 g yeast (cube form)

Put the seed mix in a small bowl and pour boiling water over it. Set it aside. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl or a LeKue silicone baking bowl. Whisk the eggs and water together until foamy, then add oil and yeast. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix a bit with a large spoon or similar. Drain the seed mix and add it before the dough forms into a ball. Now knead this for about 10 minutes, then cover with a warm damp towel and let rise for an hour. Once risen, grease a large loaf pan. Let the dough fall lightly onto the table to deflate it a bit, then take it out and gently form it into a loaf, bending it inwards on itself. Put it in the loaf pan, slice the top lightly with a sharp knife, and put it to rise, covered as before, for half an hour. Preheat the oven to 200C and put the bread in on the bottom rack, let it bake for 50 minutes. Take it out and remove it from the loaf pan onto a cooling rack. Let it cool for at least an hour before slicing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Ikea Hack Workbench

I made 1:1 bread, and it is de-leeecious!

Almond flour isn't just almond flour