Effectively Carb-balanced Müsli

Yoghurt with müsli is a fixed part of my breakfast since I was a kid. A morning just isn't right without it. Unfortunately, the müsli makers are not exactly trying to make low-carb müslis in general - mostly they combine cereals with sugars and call it healthy because there's a smidge of fiber in there. A few high-protein müslis have started to appear, mostly based on soy protein, and so far universally boring in taste and texture. So, following the lead of my mother, I have started making my own, adding things for texture and protein as I feel fit. According to my calculations, this has a 2.27:1 carb:protein balance, 1.83:1 if you count fibers as negative carbs ("effective carbs"). That is already a lot better than the typical 6:1 or 7:1 of standard müslis.

Effectively Carb-Balanced Müsli

100g coarse oats
100g fine oats
100g raisins
100g hazelnuts, whole
100g sunflower seeds
50g flax seeds
50g corn flakes

With ingredients from our local grocery store, this comes out to about €8/kg, which is pretty good for a healthy müsli. The more expensive parts are the nuts, but they are also the main protein sources. To further improve the balance, one could look for replacements for the oats or raisins, but I'm happy with the way it is here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Ikea Hack Workbench

Almond flour isn't just almond flour

Succesful high-protein sugar cookies