Bread without flour

They said it couldn't be done! They called me mad! But I SHOWED THEM! Muahahaha!

Yes, this is indeed a bread made without flour. Well, without wheat flour. Actually, without the carbohydrate parts of the wheat flour. It uses gluten and seed flours instead, but it comes out nice and springy, slightly denser than I would normally get it, but delicious.


I ended up using less flour than usual for this, since my flour tests (post coming up on them as soon as I get the third part done) show that both sunflour and flaxseed flour soak up more water than regular flour. And indeed, with 4/5 the usual amount the dough was at the same time tough and sticky. Next time I'll lower the amount of flour a bit and see if that improves the oven spring by virtue of leaving more water available to boil and expand.

Ingredients:

100g gluten, 150g flaxseed flour, 250g sunflower seed flour, 1/2 tsp baker's malt (Backmalz), 2 tsp salt. Mixed these together, but ended up putting 100g of the mix aside. 50g seed mix, soaked in boiled water for a while, then drained. 350ml water, 2 eggs, 20g yeast, ~20ml oil, all mixed together then added to 300g of the flour mix in the LeKue. Another 100g of the flour mix slowly added, along with the seed mix and 50g finely chopped walnuts. Left to rise in the oven with the light on for 1 hour, then kneaded and put into a grease loaf pan before rising for another 1/2 hour. Baked in a pre-heated oven for 1 hour at 200C.

For the nutritionally curious: This comes out to roughly 37g of carbohydrates and 287g of protein, for a mindboggling 1:8 carb:protein ratio.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the recipe! As discussed, I've added it here: https://www.datayoureat.com/r/HL9CdZPVIKSY/Low-Carb_Bread

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Ikea Hack Workbench

I made 1:1 bread, and it is de-leeecious!

Almond flour isn't just almond flour