Bread of the day: Sunflower seed flour and extra water

I've been baking more 1:1 breads recently, and I'm have nearly consistent success (unlike the English muffins and pancakes, which came out weird). There is some variations depending on the flour in question, so I am going to do short write-ups of what works and what doesn't. Some things have definitely worked, like this bread, which I think was done with flaxseed flour:



Today's bread is also a regular loaf (what Danes would call "franskbrød"). Ingredients:

125 g. seitan base (a.k.a. vital wheat gluten)
100 g. sunflower seed flour (flower flour!)
375 g. flour (about 125 g. of which may or may not have been whole wheat, our boxes were mixed).
2 teaspoons salt
50 g. seed mix
21 g. fresh yeast
375 ml lukewarm water
2 eggs
about 50 ml oil

The procedure was the same as in the original bread post. The dough was quite moist, not really coming together in the normal dough lump. It didn't rise nearly as much as the great successes, but somewhat:


In the end, it turned out ok, springy but a little denser than normal. I guess I under-kneaded it somewhat - just because it has lots of gluten doesn't mean it doesn't need kneading.

I'm strongly suspecting that the different types of flour have in particular differences in water absorption. Another bread I made got so dry I had to add more water. Thus I need to write up my results.

Until now, I hadn't found any other recipes for baking with seitan base. But I ran across one page that mentioned it by another name, "vital wheat gluten", the name that Bob's Red Mill uses for it. And with that, there are at least some hits, but mostly they use it to turn normal flour into bread flour (adding ~ one tablespoon VWG per cup of flour), which is silly - they could just get bread flour. May be I'm alone in the

Comments

  1. As discussed, I've added your recipe here: https://www.datayoureat.com/r/_5VEZ3FYu3eQ/1_1_Sunflower_Bread_Danish_franskbr_d

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Ikea Hack Workbench

I made 1:1 bread, and it is de-leeecious!

My childhood's cannibal chickens and their armor-grade eggs