PebernødderThis is my mother's recipe, with low-carb replacement marked in bold:
- 500 g flour (replace with 200 g flour, 300 g fine almond flour)
- 1 tsp ammoniumcarbonate (hjortetaksalt, in Germany Hirschhornsalz) - use 1 1/2 to 2 tsp
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 125 g butter
- 250 g sugar (replace with 250 g xylitol in crystals, e.g. Xucker)
- 2 eggs (I used 4 small eggs)
- Zest of one organic lemon
Preheat oven to 200C. Roll dough into several 1 cm thick rolls - you may need to use some more regular flour to keep it from sticking. Cut the rolls into 1cm bits and place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until slightly brown.
These are not crunchy in the way they would be with all regular flour, but they have a nice almondy taste added. Do not try to replace some flour with flax seed flour or sunflower seed flour (sunflour?), the taste of those flours is too savory.