Low Carb Brunkager

As promised, an update on the brunkager after they were done. They worked, and even though I used the sunflower seed flour together with baking soda, they didn't turn green. It appears this particular reaction also requires oxygen, and this is a very compressed dough that was then wrapped and put in the fridge. They came out quite nice (I forgot to get some Zitronat, so they were lacking that lemony taste), but definitely softer than the usual ones. Now I like a softer cookie and eschew the efforts to make them as crunchy as possibly, so this was very much my thing, but your mileage may vary. Over all it was a success that I will repeat and refine next Christmas.

Brunkager

This is a modified recipe based on God Mad (no, nothing to do with a Divine Hulk), 6th edition. I'll only write the recipe with my replacements and modifications, for the original, get the book. Note that this recipe takes some planning, so read carefully before commencing.
  • 125 g butter
  • 100 g xylitol in crystals, e.g. Xucker
  • 100 g sugar syrup - I used Goldsyrup, which has a fairly high fiber content
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp cold water
  • 100 g almond flour
  • 100 g gluten (e.g. Seitan Basis)
  • 100 g flour
  • 200 g sunflower seed flour
  • 1 tbsp Mickey's 5-spice (3 parts cinnamon, 2 parts cardamom, 1 parts each nutmeg, cloves, and allspice)
  • 100 g finely chopped almonds
Gently melt together the butter and sugars and bring them to a boil. Dissolve the baking soda in the water. Take the butter-sugar sauce off the heat and stir in the dissolved baking soda. (I accidentally stirred the baking soda directly in, didn't seem to hurt.) Let cool until luke-warm, roughly 1/2 hour in the fridge or outside in winter, longer inside.

Add the remaining ingredients and mix together well, by hand or machine. It should form a tough slightly sticky dough. Roll the dough into 5 cm thick rolls, wrap these and put them in the fridge for 1-2 days (yes, days).

Preheat the oven to 200C. Slice the dough in thin slices (1-2mm) and place them on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Bake for 6-7 minutes atop the oven.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Ikea Hack Workbench

I made 1:1 bread, and it is de-leeecious!

My childhood's cannibal chickens and their armor-grade eggs